Slip and Fall Accidents: To Report or Not?

If you have recently been the victim of a slip and fall accident, you may be wondering whether or not you should report what happened. The answer is that, no matter what, you absolutely should report the incident. It is wise to have documentation of what occurred, both for yourself and the owner of the property where the accident occurred. Furthermore, by reporting what happened, you can keep these kinds of accidents from happening to someone else.

Where and how to report the accident will vary based on where the accident occurred. If, for example, the accident occurred at a private residence, you should let the main property owner know about the incident. Depending on where you are and the type of property, this could be the homeowner or the landlord.

When slip and fall accidents happen on government property, you will need to make the on-site manager aware of the accident. If there is no manager or one cannot be found, find and contact the administrator of the relevant government agency.

The most common types of slip and fall accident, however, do not occur on these types of properties. More often than not, slip and fall accidents happen at retail locations or businesses. When that is the case, report what happened to the store manager or, if that’s not possible, to the property owner.

Properly prepared government and retail locations should have accident report forms available for you to fill out. If you do fill out such a form, insist that you retain a copy for your own record. If this form is not available to you, then make sure to make your own report, being sure to include the following:

lThe date of the accident

lThe time that the accident took place

lThe exact location where the accident took place

lThe cause of the fall

lWhen possible, testimony and contact information from any witnesses who saw the fall happen

lAny soreness, pain, or injury apparent after the fall

When possible, provide a copy of your documentation to the property owner. From there, seek help and guidance from a personal injury attorney who will know how to best handle your case and help you receive compensation for your injuries and any related costs or damages.